'Provide First Aid' - HLTAID003 - (One day)
Previously known as Apply First Aid or Senior First Aid, Level 2
This course teaches participants the ability to administer first aid care in emergency situations, as well as treat injuries and other illnesses.
Queensland First Aid's Provide First Aid is a one-day, nationally recognised course. Each participant is awarded a Statement of Attainment upon successful completion. This accreditation is current for three years, at which time it must be renewed. The CPR module of the course is current for 12 months and requires reaccreditation annually.
This unit of competency describes the skills and knowledge required to provide First Aid response, life support, management of casualty(s) the incident and other first aiders until the arrival of medical or other assistance. This course was previously known as Senior First Aid, Workplace Level 2 or Level 2 qualification. This is the advised minimum requirement by Workplace Health & Safety Legislation for the workplace First Aider.
8 hours face to face training, with no online time required.
On successful completion of the course the participant will receive a statement of attainment, which is valid for three years. As per the Australian Resuscitation Council guidelines the HLTCPR211A Perform CPR component needs to be renewed every 12 months.
There are NO pre-requisites or co-requisites for this competency unit. This unit incorporates the content of units:
- HLTAID001 Provide CPR
- HLTAID002 Provide basic emergency life support
Students must be 14 years or older. Students under 14 years must provide written permission to attend the course from their parent or guardian.
The ESSA Continuing Education Committee certifies that this continuing education offering meets the criteria for 3 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Points.
Originally called Senior First Aid, This course has undergone a number of updates and revisions in recent years to ensure best practice and compliance with workplace requirements.
In July 2013 the updated health package was released and Provide First Aid replaced Apply First Aid, the old Senior First Aid. The course code has been changed to HLTAID003.
Queensland First Aid offers a hands on approach with progressive assessments throughout the course including multiple choice questionnaires. This is competency based training so our aim is to provide you with a total understanding of basic first aid.
- ARC Guidelines relating to the provision of first aid outlines.
Working knowledge of:
- Basic principles and concepts underlying the practice of first aid
- Procedures for dealing with major and minor injury and illness
- Priorities of management in first aid when dealing with life threatening conditions
- Basic occupational health and safety requirements in the provision of first aid
- Infection control principles and procedures, including use of standard precautions
- Chain of survival
- First Aiders' skills and limitations
- Understanding of the use of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED), including when to use it and when not to
First Aid management of:
- Abdominal injuries
- Allergic reactions
- Altered or loss of consciousness
- Burns-thermal, chemical, friction, electrical
- Cardiac arrest
- Casualty with signs of no life
- Chest pain
- Choking/airway obstruction
- Injuries: cold and crush injuries; eye and ear injuries; head, neck and spinal injuries; minor skin injuries; needle stick injuries; soft tissue injuries including sprains, strains and dislocations
- Envenomation snake, spider, insect and marine bites
- Environmental impact such as hypothermia, hyperthermia, dehydration, heat stroke
- Medical conditions, including cardiac conditions, epilepsy, diabetes, asthma and other respiratory conditions
- Near drowning
- Poisoning and toxic substances (including chemical contamination)
- Respiratory distress
- Substance misuse - common drugs and alcohol, including illicit drugs
- Awareness of stress manage techniques and available support
- Duty of care
- Need to be culturally aware
- Importance of debriefing
- Own skills and limitations